Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running. The Y is proud to offer this terrific after school program for young girls. Designed to allow every girl to recognize her inner strength, the Girls on the Run curriculum inspires girls to define their lives on their own terms. Throughout the season, the girls make new friends, build their confidence and celebrate all that makes them unique. Physical activity is woven into our program to inspire an appreciation of fitness and to build habits that lead to a lifetime of health. At the end of each session, the girls participate in a Girls on the Run 5K event. This celebratory, non-competitive event is the culminating experience of the curriculum.
- Registration: January 3rd-March 2nd
- Start Date: Week of March 12th Program is 10 weeks long with weeks off for Spring Break, etc.
- Site Locations: YMCA, GW Bulluck Elementary, Impact Center, and potentially other sites, TBA. If you are interested in having a site at your school or church, please let us know!
- YMCA Site: Tues & Thurs 5:30-7:00pm
- Impact Center: Fridays 5:30-7PM & Sundays 1:30-3PM. Contact Trishonda Roberson at 252-316-8314 or email@example.com Contact Trishonda Roberson at 252-316-8314 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- GW Bulluck Elementary: Tues & Thurs 3:45-5:00pm
- 5K: The 5K we will be running in is the Rocky Mount Mills 5K on June 2nd, 2018. Learn more here: https://www.mill5k.com/
Coach: Warm-up your spirit fingers, lace up your sneakers and inspire a group of girls to be strong and healthy. Teams of volunteer coaches facilitate our easy to follow curriculum with small groups of girls over the course of 10 weeks. Amidst the conversation, laughter, hugs and energy awards, you will witness transformational change in the girls and don’t be surprised if you realize that you are positively changing as well! Ready to make a difference and encourage girls to realize their full potential? The first step is signing up. Ready, Set, Coach!
Running Buddy: Ready. Set. Go! Lace up your sneakers, put on your GOTR gear and get ready for a 5k experience unlike any other. The excitement in the air is palpable as the girls meet their teammates, get their pictures taken, chant “Girls on the Run is so much fun” and squeeze in a final energy award before heading to the starting line. Your girl may want to hold your hand, skip, sprint or walk, and no matter what she chooses, you’ll be the support she needs along the course. And at the end, when the finish line comes into sight, you will never forget the look on her face as she crosses and realizes that, indeed, she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to do. Ready to run? Take the first step today.
Fees: $75/YMCA Members | $85/Non-Members
- Registration fee includes shirt.
- 15% of program fee will be non-refundable should the registration be cancelled by the registrant.
- $10 fee for returned payments
WELCOME TO ALL
Financial Assistance is available to those who apply and qualify. Annual Campaign Funds are raised by the Y each year to help provide this benefit to the community. The Y recognizes that some individuals and families struggle to pay the rent, put food on the table and buy clothes for their kids due to unforeseen circumstances. They need financial assistance to come to the Y, to stay healthy, to be active and to thrive in life. Through the annual campaign, we make sure that our doors are open to all. Donor support helps thousands of youth and families live healthier and happier lives. They do better in school. They manage their illnesses. And kids get a good square meal!
If you feel that you are in need of assistance to become a Y member or program participant, please ask for a financial assistance form at the front desk. You may also download and print from this page. For more information, contact email@example.com
GET INVOLVED WITH OUR CAUSE
Volunteers are the backbone of our organization. Without volunteers we could not provide our community with the extensive services and programs we currently offer. Volunteers provide essential assistance in the administration of each department division, serve on committess, work with staff to meet the needs of our members and participants, and provide many other valuable contributions to the organization.