Goju Shorin is a type of Karate. This program is year round, and was founded in North Carolina. It is designed to teach participants self-defense through confidence building. It is also designed to teach discipline, instill confidence and increase body strength with a focus on core muscles and balance. Not only will participants gain better discipline and focus, they will also support a healthy, active lifestyle.
Joe Dixon has an extensive background in Martial Arts. He holds a 3rd degree black belt in Karate, extensive training in Tae Kwan Do, Judo and Isshin Ryu. Drawing on his background, Sensei Joe Dixon teaches techniques and maneuvers designed to enhance discipline and self-confidence.
Uniform and belt progressions- 5 Belt System
- Uniform & White Belt- Earned when participant can demonstrate the Four Basic Principles
- Yellow Belt– Green Tips
- Green Belt– Brown Tips
- Brown Belt– Black Tips
- Black Belt– Degrees
Testing dates are determined on the class and each individual participant’s progressions within the class. There is no testing fee for this program. Required belt testing skills available upon request.
Age Groups and Class Times
- Mondays 5-6pm
- Thursdays 5-6pm
Ages 13 & up
- Mondays 6:15-7:15pm
- Thursdays 6:15-7:15pm
- $45/YMCA Members
- $7/YMCA Members
Refund Policy: If the class is cancelled by the YMCA, a 100% refund will be processed. In the case of cancellation by the participant, 15% of the program fee will be non-refundable.
Karate Class Guidelines
- To ensure the appropriate number of instructors, registration is due by the 25th of the month prior to the session.
- Enter & Exit through Front Lobby. Plan to arrive and pick up your child on time.
- ONLY participants and coaches are allowed on Karate Mats.
- All observers must remain in observation area.
- No food, drink, or gum allowed in class.
- Proper Karate attire: Comfortable shorts/pants & tee shirt or Karate Uniform.
- Socks or bare feet only...No shoes. Long Hair should be tied back.
- Sparring Gear Recommended: Headgear, mouthpiece, shin guards and gloves.
- Uniform & Sparring Gear can be ordered at www.awma.com
WELCOME TO ALL
Financial Assistance is available to those who apply and qualify. Annual Campaign Funds are raised by the Y each year to help provide this benefit to the community. The Y recognizes that some individuals and families struggle to pay the rent, put food on the table and buy clothes for their kids due to unforeseen circumstances. They need financial assistance to come to the Y, to stay healthy, to be active and to thrive in life. Through the annual campaign, we make sure that our doors are open to all. Donor support helps thousands of youth and families live healthier and happier lives. They do better in school. They manage their illnesses. And kids get a good square meal!
If you feel that you are in need of assistance to become a Y member or program participant, please ask for a financial assistance form at the front desk. You may also download and print from this page. For more information, contact email@example.com