THE BEST SUMMER EVER!
Today, day camp is more vital than ever. To deliver on the Y’s commitment to nurture the potential of every child and teen, day camp fosters achievement, relationships, and belonging. These are essential dimensions of well-being that the Y cultivates through day camp: Discovering skills (achievement). Campers experience achievement when they try different activities, learn what they like, and discover what they are good at. Building friendships (relationships). Campers have the opportunity to form healthy relationships with other children, caring adults, and role models, which helps them feel good about themselves and learn to get along with others. Finding a place to belong (belonging). Campers connect through significant camp traditions and rituals that create a sense of belonging, so they feel included, accepted, and part of a community.
Camp Schedule & Activites
Each age group will have a weekly schedule that will include the following activities below. Daily schedules create an intentional and well-paced experience for campers.
Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Acknowledging the start and end of each day with a ritual gives campers the chance to assemble as one large group, participate in fun and engaging routines, recognize and celebrate campers and counselors, and experience an inclusive and positive social environment.
Huddle Group. Getting to know campers’ names, interests, and qualities during small-group interactions creates a positive social environment, promotes friendships among campers, and reduces and resolves behavior conflicts and bullying.
Variety Activities. Exploring a range of activities throughout the camp session allows campers to discover their interests and talents. Variety activities tend to be more general than mastery activities, focused less on skill building and more on trying new things and connecting with others.
Crew Service. Cleanup time or other responsibility activities encourage campers to feel a sense of ownership for maintaining the camp. Crew activities offer a simple and fun way to build character through the Y’s core values: caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Mastery Activities. Giving campers a chance to select an activity to practice at least three times during a camp week helps them build a sense of achievement. When campers return to an activity with a clear goal in mind, they are able to build skills in that activity.
Kids Choice Mastery Activity Options
At the beginning of each week, campers will have the opportunity to pick their favorite mastery activity to build on & have fun with! Kids will write down why they picked the activity they did and will have the chance to reflect on learnings made at the end of each mastery activity. Specific weekly offerings and activities chosen will be communicated to parents the week prior to. Potential activities offered are listed below.
- Active Arcade / Games
- Air & Space Science
- Beads & Bracelets
- Beauty School
- Challenge / Obstacle Course
- Creative Crafts
- Creative Drama, Poetry & Writing
- Competitive Team Sports
- Delicious Delights
- Digital Photography
- Duct Tape Creations
- Full STEM ahead
- Gymnastics (offered each week)
- LEGO Learning
- Outdoor Recreation & Living Skills
- Recreational Sports
- Rock Climbing Wall
- World Culture
Weekly Themes & Field Trips
Week 1 (May 28-31): Spirit Week
- Teams will create camp-themed banners, songs, cheers, and mascots.
- Pool Party & Water Wars at the Y!
Week 2 (June 3-7): Week of Celebration
- Celebrate all that normally takes all year to celebrate in one week! Birthdays, holidays, and more!
- Sylvan Heights Bird Park!
Week 3 (June 10-14): Competition Week
- Get ready for meets, relays, games, and other chances to win a medal!
- Wilson Tobs Splash Day!
Week 4 (June 17-21): Future Leaders
- Explore your potential this week as you give back through service learning, reach high with team building and grow as a leader.
- Kinston Planetarium, Nature Center & Train!
Week 5 (July 24-28): Engineered for Fun
- Get to building as you explore your architectural and engineering potential through STEM-based earning and challenges.
- Blue Diamond Gemstone Mining & Kelly Road Park!
Week 6 (July 1-5): Party in the USA
- Celebrate America during this red, white and blue packed week! Parades, Olympics, History & more!
- Color Run & Team Challenges at the Y!
Week 7 (July 8-12): Super Hero
- Unlock your super powers during this adventure-filled week. Discover the hero in you!
- Carolina Ice Zone & Town Commons in Greenville!
Week 8 (July 15-19): Games, Games, Games
- You’ll enjoy new games from variations on tag, Ultimate Frisbee®, Minute to Win It activities and favorite game shows!
- Gameday Adventure Zone at the Event Center!
Week 9 (July 22-26): Y’s Got Talent
- Find your moment in the spotlight with activities like a lip-sync challenge, dance off, improv skits!
- Invite your Family to the Y for our Talent Show!
Week 10 (July 29–Aug 2): Super Slimy
- Come dressed to get dirty. We will make gack, goop, glop and gump this week!
- Ultimate Backyard Warrior!
Week 11 (Aug 5-9): Camper Vs. Counselor
- Campers and Counselors will face off in a variety of tasks, activities and games throughout the week, with winners revealed on Friday!
- Marbles & the Natural Science Museum!
Week 12 (Aug 12-16): Treasure Hunters
- Figure out the hidden codes and unlock the riddles. Every day is a mystery, and anything can happen!
- Tarboro Movie!
Week 13 (Aug 19-23): Camp Rewind
- Spend the last week of camp revisiting all of our favorite activities and games as we put the entire summer on rewind.
- Camp BBQ & a Picnic at the Y!
We will attend super fun trips throughout camp and will send details out before the start of each week about these trips to parents.
- Harrison Family YMCA
- Pre K-Kindergarten, 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 7th & up
*based on school year just completed.
- May 28th-August 23rd | Mondays-Fridays | 6:30am-6:00pm (13 weeks)
*If drop off is needed before 7AM, please notify the childcare office in advance.
- YMCA Plus Account Members: $135
- Standard Price: $150
Daily Drop-In Fees
- ( 1 day) YMCA Plus Account Members: $40
- (2 day) $80
- (3 day) $120
- (1 day) Standard Price: $45
- (2 day) $90
- (3 day) $135
*You may register online OR fill out the fillable PDF registration form below ahead of time and print to bring into the Y or you can fax, or email it to Tracy Dodrill. PLEASE MAKE SURE you download the form and save it to your computer first if choosing this option. THEN fill out the saved file and re-save to your computer, before you email it. This will ensure that the completed information has saved. When registering online as a Plus Member, the member discount will be applied in the back office.
Every Child deserves the Best. Summer. Ever At the Y, we think Summer is a time every child deserves. The learning gap between the end of the school year and the start of the next school year is increasing with each year. To help with this, we want to ensure as many children can participate in Summer Camp as possible. Financial Assistance applications are available at the Front Desk or online. Assistance is offered on a first come, first serve basis. Deadline for applications is Friday, April 12th, 2019
For more information, contact Adam Crider, Youth & Family Director | 252-972-9622 x. 239 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax #: 252-972-3580
WELCOME TO ALL
Financial Assistance is available to those who apply and qualify. Annual Campaign Funds are raised by the Y each year to help provide this benefit to the community. The Y recognizes that some individuals and families struggle to pay the rent, put food on the table and buy clothes for their kids due to unforeseen circumstances. They need financial assistance to come to the Y, to stay healthy, to be active and to thrive in life. Through the annual campaign, we make sure that our doors are open to all. Donor support helps thousands of youth and families live healthier and happier lives. They do better in school. They manage their illnesses. And kids get a good square meal!
If you feel that you are in need of assistance to become a Y member or program participant, please ask for a financial assistance form at the front desk. You may also download and print from this page. For more information, contact email@example.com
Financial Assistance Application
Summer Feeding Resource
The Summer Feeding Program program allows faith-based institutions and other community groups to offer nutritious meals to sites in Nash and Edgecombe counties. The YMCA is including as one of those Summer Feeding Sites!
- Must let us know ahead of time to be included in the count for food.
- Please Contact Vanessa Gaston at 252-972-9622 ext. 241
- Mon-Fri at the YMCA facility. Must be 18 years of age and under.
- May 28, 2019-Aug 23, 2019
- Breakfast: 8:00-9:00
- Lunch: 12:15-1:15
Need To Know Information
- Registration and waivers must be completed prior to attending camp.
- Parents/Guardians must sign campers in and out each day with specified sign in/out sheet.
- Campers should bring a swimsuit and towel on their assigned days.
- Breakfast, lunch and 1 snack will be provided.
- Campers should wear comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes.
- Weekly bank draft option is available as preferred payment method.
- Payment or draft authorization is required upon registration.
- Balance for each week is due no later than the Friday prior. Any unpaid openings will become available spots for other participants.
- Any cancellations must be received no later than the Thursday prior to the week registered for to avoid being charged for the week.
Skills & Drills Swim Camp
FINISH YOUR SUMMER WITH A SPLASH
August 19th - 22nd from 9 am - 12 pm
This camp will help swimmers refine their strokes, working to make each stroke more efficient. They will also have fun together and enjoy a snack! Each participant will receive a water bottle and a t-shirt.