LEARN TO SAVE LIVES IN THE WATER
These dates are subject to change as the current COVID-19 pandemic continues to delevop and effect our community. Please stay tuned for updated information as we navigate this situation. Click here for more information regarding our response to COVID-19.
COVID-19 90-day Certification Extension *Click here sign up*
This free 90 Day Certification Extension Course enables an existing enrollee of CPR-Pro and Lifeguarding to extend their current American Red Cross certification by 90 days from the original certification expiration date. This extension requires a current Red Cross certification to be valid. If your (or your child's) certification is expiring within the next 30-60 days, we would HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of this extension. If you do not take advantage of the extension, your current certification will still expire and would then require a Complete Lifeguarding Course to become certified again.
Lifeguard Certification and Recertification
This course teaches lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. This course includes First Aid, AED training, and CPR for the professional rescuer. All participants must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled lesson of the course, and the participant must be a strong swimmer able to swim 300 yards continuously, using freestyle and breaststroke. After successful completion of the course, the individual will be a certified lifeguard.
- Minimum age 15, Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may swim using the freestyle, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the 10 pound object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- American Red Cross Certification Requirements: attend all class sessions; demonstrate competency in all required skills, demonstrate competency in 3 final skill scenarios, and correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on the final written exams.
- Location: Harrison Family YMCA
Complete Course Cost:
- Without book (student download): $210
Recertification Course Cost:
- Y Member: $100
- Non-Member: $110
- Pocket Mask: $15 or provide your own.
- Lifeguarding participant manual can be downloaded here
- You can print it or bring your laptop, tablet, etc.
- Pocket mask included in price
- All session dates must be attended to receive certification.
- Please bring lunch or a snack.
Lifeguard Training Course Schedule
- Mon - Thurs, Oct 14th - 17th & 21st - 24th 4pm - 7:30pm
- Monday, January 20th 8am - 6pm
Mon - Thurs, Feb 17th - 20th & 24th - 27th 4 - 7:30pm
- Sat, March 21st 8am - 6pm
- Mon - Thurs, March 16th - 19th & 23rd - 26th 4 - 7:30pm
- Tues - Fri, April 14th - 17th 9am - 4pm
- Friday, May 22nd 8am - 6pm
- Tues - Fri, May 26th - 29th 9am - 4pm
- Mon - Thurs, June 1st - 4th 9am - 4pm
- Mon - Thurs, June 8th - 11th 9am - 4pm
- Friday, August 7th 8am - 6pm
For more information, contact Carolyn Hartney-Correa, Aquatics Coordinator, at 252-972-9622 x.235 or email@example.com.