TRAINED TO SAVE LIVES
Lifeguard Certification and Recertification
This course teaches the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Courses include First Aid, AED training, Water Rescue Skills, and CPR for the professional rescuer. After successful completion of the course, the individual will be a certified lifeguard and can apply for employment at the YMCA!
Complete Course - Blended Learning Style
September 19th - 23rd, 2022
4pm - 8pm
To be added to a waitlist for more classes, email email@example.com.
- Minimum age 15, Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the 10-pound object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- American Red Cross Certification Requirements: attend all class sessions; demonstrate competency in all required skills, demonstrate competency in 3 final skill scenarios, and correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on the final written exams.
Complete Course: $210
• Pocket Mask is included in the price.
• 15% of the program fee is non-refundable should the registration be canceled by the registrant prior to the pre-work being assigned.
• Once pre-work is assigned, there will be no refunds if pre-work and prerequisites are incomplete.
• Partial refunds will be issued IF and ONLY IF the participant has COVID or has been exposed to someone with COVID or begins to develop symptoms and cannot complete the course.
Other Info To Know:
- 7 hours of online pre-work must be completed at least 48hrs in advance of the course begin date. Participants will be sent the link to complete via email. Please ensure your email address is updated at the Front Desk; that is where the link will be sent to.
- Prerequisites will be performed on the first date of the course session. If participants are unable to complete the pre-work on time or unable to demonstrate the pre-requisites on the first date of the course, it is an automatic fail per the American Red Cross.
- ALL online pre-work and prerequisites (200 yds. swim, brick, tread) MUST be completed satisfactorily prior to continuing the course.
- There will be a maximum number of participants in each class, first come, first serve.
For more information, contact Aquatics Manager, Don Moseley, at 252-972-9622 x.235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.